Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:34:43 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re FREE?

On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 09:21:04AM -0400, Jerry Bell wrote:

> Such a complaint will be dropped.  FreeBSD has an open licensing policy
> which where the freeware claim comes from.  The $40 distribution charge is
> irrelavent, since it is freely available via download from dozens of
> internet sites across the world.  I can copy FreeBSD onto a bunch of CD's,
> charge $100 for each of them, and still call it freeware because you don't
> HAVE to get it from me, and the software retains its original licensing.
> Your persitence is commendable but misguided.  It is obvious you have no
> comprehension of the laws that govern us, and it is regrettable that you
> don't find something more productive to do than badger people who are
> willing donate their valuable time and skills to a very worthwhile project.

Agreed. The $40 cost is _not_ the cost of the software. The $40 cost is
the cost of producing the media and packaging. The software itself _is_
free, since you can download it from a number of places, quite legally,
free of charge.

Which, of course, goes for NetBSD, OpenBSD, Debian, Redhat, ... ... (ad
nauseam)

The State of Texas will take one look at this one and laugh, methinks.

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |