Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:50:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tony Dunn-Lowes <tonydl@the-coolpad.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multiple crashes (was: cc: Internal compiler error URGENT)

On Friday, 11 September 1998 at  6:13:06 +0100, Tony Dunn-Lowes wrote:

(to me alone.  Please copy -questions: I charge big money for private
messages).

> In message <19980911141653.J611@freebie.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey
> <grog@lemis.com> writes
>> If your 2.2.5 system was working OK, this is really unusual.  Yes, it
>> does point to some kind of hardware problem, but it's not usually due
>> to your CPU.  Also, the P5/133 isn't exactly the most uncommon CPU.  I
>> have two of them here running quite happily.  You wouldn't have
>> changed your motherboard or memory recently, would you?
>
> Well, 2.2.5 was fine but then some wise guy hacked the box.

What do you mean by "hacked"?  You mean "broke in to"?  That wouldn't
cause these problems (I don't think, anyway).

> I then wiped the entire system and restarted with 2.2.7
> -RELEASE. Problems started to happen so we replaced the RAM (made no
> difference) then we disabled the CPU cache (did make a difference)
> but problems still persist.
>
> I may decide to change the motherboard and CPU as a matter of course.

Let's assume that your chipset setup is completely screwed up.  Try
going in to the BIOS setup menu and resetting to default values.  If
it still doesn't work, come back with *many* more details about your
motherboard, including the support chipset.

Greg