Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:23:08 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Oles' Hnatkevych" <gnut@nut.kiev.ua>
Subject:   Re: backuping the system

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:33:57 +0300 (EEST), Oles' Hnatkevych wrote:

> What is in your opinion the best ways to back up a system?

Anything that allows you to get back to your data when you need it.
:-)
You can always start with the "dump" program. "Man dump"

>What about CD-writers?

Two small for a big setup. Probably too expensive over the long run
too.

>Are there any programs for writing CD-ROMs?

Yes. Sorry don't know the names of the programs though.

>What do you usually back up?

I think tape by far is the most economical way of backing up.
What is your volume?

I personally wish there was something easy to use, but until I find
it I use dump.

You can also use "tar", but most comments I have read seem to imply
that for "complete" backups dump is better. I use tar to backup all
my small/important files every time I use my box.