Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:29:49 +0100
From:      Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking advice for mobile connectivity

Hi,

I think you should get a GSM/GPRS card. You would then get GSM (CSD)
connectivity (i.e. 9600 bps data calls billed by the minute), but also GPRS
access (i.e. "always-on", packet-switched, up to 50 Kbps, billed by
volume). I believe all such cards look like serial cards, but I wouldn't
guarantee it. The alternative is to use a GSM/GPRS phone, and connect it
via a serial cable, IRDA, or Bluetooth.

You need a subscription with a GSM provider that will give you a SIM card
to put either in the GSM/GPRS PC card or the phone, with the GPRS option
active. Roaming with GPRS is a lot less developed than with GSM, but it's
growing.

You might want to have a look at http://www.psg.com/~randy/gprs-ppp.html
which talks a bit about this.

Otherwise the good old modem also works great :-) Neither CSD nor GPRS will
give you decent latency :-(

Hope that helps,

Jacques.