Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 17:34:11 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        richards@mail.ctenet.com (John Richards)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Probe v2.1 not recognizing PCI Bus

On Dec 23, 12:59, John Richards wrote:
} Subject: Probe v2.1 not recognizing PCI Bus
} Dear FreeBSD:

} I have created a boot floppy, and at boot, I use the -c switch to customize.
} I have a Pentium 120 PCI/ISA Award BIOS v4.50G, 16MB RAM, Adaptec 2940 scsi

What type of motherboard and chip set is this ?

} controler, with 3c509B nic.  When I get to the config prompt, and use the ls
} command, I do not have the pci device ahc0 listed.  I believe I have tried

PCI devices don't get listet at the config prompt.
There is no way to change any of their parameters
(since they are dynamically assigned by the PCI
BIOS of your system), but there will be some config
support in a later version (at least a disable
option to make an unwanted device disappear).

} all documented possibilities.  The bottom line is that the kernel probe does
} not probe the PCI bus properly to find the Adaptec controller so I have no
} recognized hard drives.  In fact, the only time I see the probe even check
} for the PCI bus is when I use the -v option at boot.  With -v, it checks,
} but doesn't succeed.

Please send all lines (or at least the numbers)
starting with pcibus_setup or pcibus_check!

These will help me understand, what is going wrong.

Are you able to build a custom kernel ?

If Yes: Please get /sys/i386/isa/pcibus.c from the
FreeBSD-current sources. (I can send them in a SHAR
file, if necessary.)

} Using the customized boot, I have disabled all other possible conflicts,
} including the 3c509 device, but still no luck.  I can't get off first base,
} any suggestions?

Well, I guess that the probe for the PCI host bridge
fails on your system. There are quite detailed rules
for the behaviour of these devices, which are ignored
by some major players in the PC market, though :(

I can implement another wotkaround for your system,
if I know its pcibus_setup probe messages ...

Regards, STefan