Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        Anthony.Barlow@europe.simoco.com, chrism@keyworld.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@plinet.com
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth limiter for services?

"Christopher Martin at Home" <chrism@keyworld.net> writes:

[Re: ET's bandwidth limiter]

> I suggest that you check it out though. I think it works by dropping
> packets. If it does the pipe might be filled by stuff that is already
> downloaded. This might result in unaccepttable amount of retransmissions
> from source.
>
> So you would not be really saving bandwidth...

I'm sure Dennis will be heard from, and will bring his customary
diplomatic balm to bear on this matter, but:  note that this is
no different from what happens when packets leave your 10- or
100-Megabit-connected workstation and are routed over a T-1 or slower
WAN line.  TCP already deals with this, using slow start, congestion
avoidance, etc. to deduce the amount of bandwidth actually available
to it, and throttle itself back accordingly.  Your notion that
a bandwidth limiter like ET's will cause increased retransmissions
is unfounded.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.