Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:11:10 +0100
From:      Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Good FreeBSD books

--Signature=_Sun__18_Jan_2004_16_11_10_+0100_uR4dDJYuO_M3Wyzp

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:58:48 +0100
"Vandalon, V." <V.Vandalon@student.tue.nl> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello,

> After trying a few linux distributions I ended up with something non
> linux, FreeBSD. I've been able to set it up as a server, but I am
> hungry for some in depth literature. I still don't feel as on top of
> the system as I want. So I am looking for some good books. I've seen
> this book (Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD") passing by on the
> mailing list. But is it up to date? I can get edition 2003 so I guess
> it is up to date.

"The Complete FreeBSD" is really great. Since you seem to have some
Unix-background, it should be rather helpful, both for introduction and
as an advanced reference manual.

> Are there more and better books? I am quite a newbie in UNIX so it
> must cover also the basics.

"Essential System Administration" by Aeleen Frisch, which covers general
Unix-administration. The FreeBSD version it covers is 4.6, but in
conjunction with the html-manual it should give you most of the things
you need.
The manual (you can find it under /usr/share/doc or online) is really
good, too.

If you know German, you can also check out "FreeBSD 5" by "Computer &
Literatur" (C&L).

> Regards Vincent

Kind regards,

Benjamin