Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:44:06 -0800
From:      Rashmi Mahesh <rashmics@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question on changing video mode?

Hi,

I have FreeBSD 2.2.5 at my home PC. I have been trying to increase the
resolution of my screen from 640x480 to 800x600, but in vain. I tried
changing the /etc/XF86Config file to reflect the new resolution.
Somehow,
startx does not seem to pick the information from the file. My adapter
card
(S3 VIRGE) which has 4 MB of memory supports 800x600 resolution at
256 colors (My other partition in the disk which has Windows 95, can
boot
and come up with that resolution!).

I also tried changing through xvidtune and xf86setup utilities. The log
file
startx.log indicates that 640x480 is the only supplied parameter. What
is
the correct procedure to change the video mode?

Rashmi Mahesh                          1235, Wildwood Avenue, #407
Tel: (408) 749-0837                    Sunnyvale, CA 94089

                   e-mail:rashmics@pacbell.net
                          rashmics@hotmail.com