Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 14:47:57 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Will L G <diskman@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Alpha PC164SX

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 02:50:58AM -0700, Will L G wrote:
> I was wondering is there some problems with the alpha version of bsd and
> Alpha PC164SX models?

Zero.  I own one of these.

> The reason I was asking is, for some reason it will not allow me to
> install and configure XF86 even though it is alpha compatible. It comes
> back with and error, " VGA16 must be installed to configure". I've
> attempted to install it but after numerous failed attempts all I get is
> "SVGA is not supported at this time". This appears to be an
> error message issued by FreeBSD.

No it is a message issued by XF86Setup.  Go bug the XFree86 developers --
their XF86Setup program needs the VGA16 server, which does not bulid on
*any* Alpha OS.  You need to run xf86config to configure the server and
then hack the resulting /etc/XF86Config as xf86config does not know about
our sysmouse.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)