Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:04:27 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        Fernando Ariel Gont <fgont@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Identification field" at the IP header

> From: Fernando Ariel Gont <fgont@softhome.net>
> Date: 1999-12-28 17:51:28 -0800
> To: freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: "Identification field" at the IP header
>
> Hi!
>
> I've read that in some implementations, the  "Identification
field" at the IP
> header is incremented by the TCP layer, and NOT by the IP layer.
> I've read that the "idea" of the TCP/IP protocol suit is to have
several layers,
> which are "independent" of each other. That means, the application
(FTP, for
> example) passes its data to the next layer (TCP), then TCP
encapsulates it,
> adding its header, then TCP passes its data to the IP layer, which
encapsulates
> its.... and so on...
> But, keeping in mind what I mentioned above, it seems to me that
that "type of
> implementation" goes against the former idea of the TCP/IP
protocol suite.
> I mean, I'd found it more logical if the "Identification field"
was incremented
> by the IP layer, and NOT by the TCP layer
> Am I wrong?

I'm not sure where you read this, or what implementations do it.
I'm not aware of any.  Normally, the 'id' is assigned by the IP
layer.  This value is used to permit receiving IP stacks to
distinguish between copies of a datagram that have been floating
around in the ether and different versions of the "same datagram" (as
sent), e.g., for retransmission.  It's also used to keep book on
fragments as they arive at the ultimate destination.

The "identification" is supposed to be unique to a given datagram.
Having it assigned by another agent than the IP layer makes this
either difficult or an excercise in semantics (e.g., the TCP could
specify it, using a value provided by the IP layer).

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *