Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:29:42 +0100
From:      tobi@bland.fido.de (Tobias Ernst)
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: early hangup causing exorbitant telecom fees

* Original to:   hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
* Carbon Copies: freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG

Hallo Hellmuth!

 HM> I guess you are using some sort of PPP.
 HM> I guess that your machine tried to reach the remote machine

Yes, yes.

 HM> and somehow the login/authorization failed.
 HM> The PPP layer then tried to reach the remote end again and again.

Unfortunately, this does not show up in any of the logs. I am using
kernel PPP.

 HM> From what i see it is not a bug in the i4b ISDN code. In case you
are
 HM> using sppp, you might have been hit by the lcp-loop bug.

Do I understand this right that if I switch to user ppp I would not
have to fear to be hit by the lcp loop bug again, assuming that it was
the lcp loop bug that caused the problem?

I just tried it with user ppp and it works. I also like user ppp
better, I was just using sppp because when I started with i4b, using
user ppp was not yet an option.

 >> And do you see any chance that I could argue the Telekom into not
 >> having to  pay this abhorrent sum?

 HM> I have heard from similar cases, that it might be that the Telecom

 HM> will have mercy. They never had mercy with me, anyway.

 HM> I would not even think about telling them that you are running
 HM> something unapproved like i4b on your side ....

Of course. Do you think it is safe to tell them I am using FreeBSD in
combination with an external (BZT approoved) TA? I have enough of them
floating around and also configuration files for it, so I could easily
switch to this solution for the time until the matter is settled. Or
should I set up a Windows solution <brrr>?

 HM> IIRC the sppp loop bug was seen with Ascends.

Does this indicate that the problem was essentially a bug in my FreeBSD
code, but that this was triggered by some sort of misbehaviour in the
Ascend?

Viele Gr=FC=DFe,
Tobias