Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 09:03:23 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, ckwen <ckwen@eembox.ee.ncku.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can two fast ethernet cards work in a freebsd box ?

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 02:28:56PM -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, ckwen wrote:
>

> > Thanks to Wes Peters and Martin Machacek.
> > Now the hub's 100 Mbps LED goes on again after the execution
> > of ifconfig command. The parameters I set in ifconfig are
> >      "media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex."
> > Neither of them can be omitted.
>
> If this really is a HUB as you have been saying all this time, and not
> a SWITCH, you don't want to be using full-duplex.

ummm, this may be a silly question, if  so would you (or
anybody else) be so kind as to reply off list as to why and
what the difference would be in this regard

i've just recently gotten a couple of 100basetx nics for my
three pci based computers and have started to save fro a
100basetx hub, i was then told that a swithch would be better,
especially if i had lots of collisions.

since mving into a new house (700 meters fron teh end of off
and directly down teh middle of off teh middle of one  off teh
main runways of sydeny international airport. previously ultra
reliable equipment has becme more than a bit quirky.

i see "scanning lines" in teh tv and hear "radar chatter" on my
fm tuners output and my previously quiet as a mouse power
amplifier now hums and when i get my hifi and computer gear
checked out it works flawlessly. but, when it come home it
starts to play up.

i'm hoping a switch will help in this (rf as well as audiable)
noisy environment. or, am i grasping at straws ? i understand
that thier isn't much i can do to "fix" this probelm or the
causes, but, i'm hoping i can minimise the fallout so to
speak, iff possible.

regards and thanks in advance

jonathan