Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 1997 12:22:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        TOKER ONUR <onur@dpc.kfupm.edu.sa>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: several networking questions ...

On Sat, Dec 27, 1997 at 01:10:07AM -0800, Tom wrote:

>   BTW, _never_ post to both questions and hackers, so don't follow to
> both.  This is very much a topic for questions, not hackers.

Mea culpa.  I didn't notice the cross post until after I replied.

> On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> If yes, which architectures are supported ?
>>
>> The Hayes command set, at least.  I've heard of things called
>> Winmodems, which appear to lose.  Some people say they won't work, but
>> I don't know anything about them.  I've never had difficulty getting
>> modems to work, though.
>
>   What most people call a "WinModem" (ex.  USR WinModem) does not present
> a 16450/16550 UART interface to the system, and therefore can't be used.

Do you have any details?  That in itself shouldn't stop it from
working.

>>> If yes how ?
>>
>> You'll need mpd (multi-line ppp).  The problem is, so will your ISP.
>> You'll need to find one who's also running FreeBSD, and who is
>
>   Why is that?

Sorry, I expressed myself incorrectly and insufficiently.  It's my
understanding that most ISPs don't support multi-line ppp, and the
easiest way to get it to work would be to persuade an ISP using
FreeBSD to install mpd.  Julian indicates other possibilities in
another message.

Greg