Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:15:28 +0200
From:      Guido Van Hoecke <Guido@VanHoecke.org>
To:        stefan@beke.sk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i-buddie

i4o beke wrote:
> Hi Guido. I've seen your question on freebsd-mobile, without answer.
> I'd like to buy i-buddie, 3c or 4. So your problems with setup are
> really interesting for me.
> Is your sis network card working? Is it possible to
> run XWin on i-buddie?  Thank you for your answer.

I am afraid I have had no luck with freebsd. My sis900 network card is
recognized but fails with a 'MII without any PHY!', and 3 more devices
are showing up as unknown:

pci0 2.7 is a sis7012 audio driver
pci0 5.0 is a conexant 56k modem
pci0 7.0 ia a VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE1394 host controller

Further more, XF86 as available in freebsd 4.6.2-RELEASE #0 does not
recognize my lcd panel, so I can't run a desktop environment.

I have not yet posted about the X problem, I wanted to have the sis900
network problem resolved first.

FYI, I've installed mandrake 8.2 without a single hickup: all hardware
recognized and configured properly in a very neat and smooth
installation. Other distros which I've tried with less success are Red
Hat 7.3, and Debian 3.0

I do like the iBuddy though!

--
Guido Van Hoecke <Guido@VanHoecke.org>