Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:17:53 +0100
From:      SirDice <sirdice@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Not so succesfull install

Hi all,

Spurred on by my recent success upgrading from 6.9 to 7.1-RC2 on my dual
athlon recently I decided to do a clean install on my other machine.
It's an amd64 but because of a lack of amd64 nvidia drivers it's running
freebsd-i386. As said it's a clean install, I installed a minimal
6.2-beta I had lying around, updated src and make world to
6.2-PRERELEASE (RELENG_6). Installed the git portstree, set X11BASE to
/usr/local and installed Xorg-7.2-RC3. The entire build went flawless.
No problems there..

So I first tried to get it to work with the standard nv driver. I have a
VGA crt monitor (H30-100, V50-200) and a Dell 2001 Flatpanel (with VGA
and DVI). I tried several CrtcNumber and FlatPanel options but was
unable to get anything to work. X -configure hung up my machine, I could
ssh into it and reboot but the machine itself was totally unresponsive.
Seems a lot of people have had the same problem so I used xorgconfigure
to create a basic xorg.conf.

I hooked up both (crt on vga and lcd on dvi) because I got tired of
crawling underneath my desk switching plugs.. Here's what I managed to get..

CrtcNumber, FlatPanel, CRT, LCD
0, 0, crt:striped pattern, lcd:console
0, 1, both: screen(s) found but none usable
1, 0, crt: striped pattern, lcd:cannot display mode
1, 1, crt: striped blinking pattern, lcd: blank black screen (display
indicates 1280x1024), dead slow system..

Everytime i was able to Zap (ctrl-alt-backspace) back to the console,
the last one did take a while tho..
I set the maximum resolution to 1280x1024 (both can do 1600x1200 easily)
to make sure.. Tried all the options with just the crt and with the lcd
on vga and on it's dvi nothing I tried gave me anything, at most all I
got was the striped pattern..

So I figured what the heck and tried to install the nvidia-driver.. That
failed to install as there's no /usr/local/lib/modules..
I'm not sure if the problems with the nv driver are related to the git
tree or to Xorg itself. I'm assuming the nvidia-driver port just needs
some tweaking for the X11BASE->LOCALBASE transition.

I'll see if I can rebuild everything again with X11BASE set to
/usr/X11R6 to check if that changes anything..

Cheers,

Remko C.