Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:33:44 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: malloc(0) broken?

In message <79620000.1037978720@leeloo.intern.geht.de>, Marc Recht writes:
>Hi!
>
>A malloc(0) returns always 0x800 on my system. This causes some third-party
>software to fail, because they expect malloc(0) to return NULL. Is this a
>bug or a feature? malloc(3) doesn't mention anything.

Then you didnt read malloc(3) well enough:

     V       Attempting to allocate zero bytes will return a NULL pointer
             instead of a valid pointer.  (The default behavior is to make a
             minimal allocation and return a pointer to it.)  This option is
             provided for System V compatibility.  This option is incompatible
             with the ``X'' option.