Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:05:20 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X libraries

On Mon, Jun 02, 1997 at 12:20:26PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>> >Depends on how people feel; I'm not quite certain how I we should
>> >react to bugs in bundled software.

>> >No.  However, it is all over bugtraq, so I guess they should know.
>>
>> You shouldn't make such assumptions.  As it turns out we did know about
>> it.  But, if everyone had assumed that we wouldn't have known about it
>> in time to do anything about it for this release.
>
>You know, I'm literally getting shivers down my spine when you say
>that.  BugTraq has 10k subscribers.  When it has been posted there, it
>should (IMHO) be more visible to a developer than if it had been on
>the front page of all newspapers every day the last week.
>
>Sure, I can forward (which I more or less did, by Cc:'ing Rich) - but
>it absolutely, positively shouldn't be necessary.

Well, I've asked for someone on our large beta team to step forward
and be our "security officer", but nobody seemed to be interested.
There is a limit to what I can do personally, and I don't believe
that I am qualified enough in regard to security issues to deal with
this properly anyway.

If anyone here wants to volunteer, please do.

>(Sorry for the strong wording, but I'm actually quite upset by this.
>I don't like doing this to people who are giving me of their time for
>free. :-(

Maybe you should direct your complaints to the source of the code, ie,
The Open Group (formerly OSF) since the X Consortium ceased.  They didn't
appear to be aware of the problems before we were.

David