Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 01:12:24 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   more ETXTBSY bugs

Try this:

	cp /bin/echo /tmp
	chmod 777 /tmp/echo
	/tmp/echo

Then

	rm /tmp/echo s

says "override rwxrwxrwx  bde/bin for echo?" This is because `rm' uses
access() to check for write access on the file; access() fails and sets
errno = ETXTBSY and `rm' decides to prompt because the file isn't
writable.  The unlink works if I respond `y', of course.

All this may be old behaviour.  There is certainly some new behaviour:
The ETXTBUSY bit didn't go away while I was running `make' in the
background for 10-20 minutes.  Perhaps the vnode and associated buffers
didn't go away either, and clog up the caches.

Bruce