Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:53:36 -0500
From:      Ken Wills <kenwills@tds.net>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop? (was: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze [support groups])

+++ Greg 'groggy' Lehey [31/07/02 13:06 +0930]:
> On Monday, 29 July 2002 at 12:20:59 +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:00:16 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> The real problem I have is knowing which of the over 7,000 ports you
> >> want to install to get "basic" desktop functionality.
> >
> >     yes. and this is the problem with stuff like your
> >     instant-workstation port. you can't please everyone, and i dare
> >     to say that any such thing will only please a tiny minority of
> >     people.
>
> This is like saying that people won't use Microsoft because it pleases
> only a tiny minority of people.

On the flip side, the instant-workstation port shouldn't try to please everyone -
that's what 'cd /usr/ports; make install' is for :-) . This would be way too big.

> >  probably the reason you haven't got much feedback on the port.
>
> No, the reason I haven't had much feedback is almost certainly because
> nobody knows about it.  That's the problem I mention above.
>
> >> 2.  "instant" is a misnomer, at least if you build from source.  I'm
> >>     building on a Dell Inspiron 7500 with a 600 MHz processor, and it
> >>     takes over 12 hours.
> >
> >     as suggested by someone else before, it could use packages where
> >     possible,
>
> Yes, of course it does, but you still need to have the ports.  The
> instant-workstation port itself really is pretty instantaneous..
>
> > but that would make it fall out of the ports system pretty much.
>
> Why?

Doesn't make -DUSE_PACKAGES=1 install work? I could have sworn it did.
Maybe a note pointing this out when you type make install.

> >> 3.  Once it's built, it works "out of the box".  I've installed the
> >>     XFree86 4 port, and installation is really nothing more than this:
> >>
> >>     # X -configure
> >>     # mv /root/XF86Config.new /etc
> >>     # echo exec kdestart > ~me/.xinitrc
> >>
> >>     You can then run startx or xdm and end up in a relatively complete
> >>     kde environment.
> >
> >     this still makes it lag behind most of linux distros in terms of
> >     "ease of use". the (new) user still has to know to perform these steps.
> >     note that i don't care. i don't use linux for a reason.
>
> A valid point.  I could add that to the port.
>
> >> My questions to you: is there anything missing?
> >
> >     inevitably, yes. plus there are things *i* don't use on that list.
> >     shell, for example. i don't use bash. if you want to make the port
> >     attractive for me, you have to let me choose my favorite shell.
>
> Nobody's stopping you.  You can override anything in the port.  That's
> what the Ports Collection is for.  But this port is addressing a
> different kind of user.

I agree with this. There is no, one-size-fits-all for this.

> >     if, however, i have to select a shell, i can
> >> (cd /usr/ports/shells/chooseone && make install clean)
> >     just as well. same with the other software.
>
> Of course.  But that's not the point.
>
> >> Has anybody tried instant-workstation?  I'd be interested in
> >> suggestions about how to improve it.
> >
> >     you could perhaps abstract the installed software away into software
> >     categories similar to the /usr/ports directory:
> >
> >     which shell do you want to use? (ash bash tcsh ksh zsh):
> >     which browser do you want to use? (...):
>
> That assumes you understand the questions and can decide which is the
> one for you.
>
> >     a big boon would be a possibility to configure the ports from
> >     here.  that would probably require a change to the ports system:
> >     right now you can only tell what knobs a port features by
> >     reading the Makefile.
>
> That's a separate, but valid, problem.

An alternative to this would be to use dialog, like the mod_php4 port does, and
configure accordingly. I might even take a look at this.....

> Greg
> --
> Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers

Ken