Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:06:25 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL vs. -lmd

On Thursday 01 August 2002 06:53 pm, you wrote:
= Mikhail Teterin wrote:
= > = Asking every software vendor out there to perform the same contortions
= > = so that their applications aren't FreeBSD-specific after they're
= > = written is unacceptable.
= >
= > Nobody is planning to ask them. If your application only compiles with a
= > particular version of OpenSSL means the app is broken.
=
= If your OS doesn't allow my application to compile with a
= particular version of OpenSSL, it means your OS is broken.

Ours does... You _can_ easily install OpenSSL of your choice (you should
use the port, but you don't have to). And yes, you need to make sure your
-I and -L settings point to the right locations, but that is always the case.

In addition, the openssl port has a setting, with which you overwrite the base
openssl -- letting you easily install the latest and greatest OpenSSL on a not
so latest OS.

I wonder, why you are not complaining about us having -lc in the base system
:-) After all, with Linux systems you usually have a choice -- glibc/libc/etc.

= The sword cuts both ways.
=
= Try to think like an application vendor instead of an OS vendor.
=
=
= > In any case, to bring this thread back to the SUBJECT, having -lmd does
= > not help those poor vendors a bit. I'd suggest using -lmd _inside_
= > -lcrypto, if OpenSSL's implementations of the digests weren't faster...
= >
= > Since they are, -lmd should be dropped. Whatever your opinion on the
= > rest of OpenSSL, its API(s) did not change in a while... Especially in
= > the Message Digest area.

= That'd be peachy, if the shared library version number only
= applied to the Message Digest area.  Unfortunately, it applies
= to the whole thing, so when something unrelated to message
= digests changes its API, programs linked against the same
= digest API can notcontinue to use the system shared library
= when installed on future versions of FreeBSD, unless backward
= compatability packages are also installed.

The digests are in -lcrypto. It is the -lssl, that changes (or should
change) more often.

In any case, I have the same -lcrypto and -lssl versions on my
-current and -stable systems. The libs are quite stable, even if less
so, than the -lmd.

In any case, the same problem (if it is a problem) exists with -lc, -lm
(oh, yes!) and other libraries. Why pick on OpenSSL?

	-mi