Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 00:43:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Robin, Michael" <robin@chapman.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: text editor

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:09:39 +0000, Robin, Michael wrote:
> Which text editor program will run 64-bit operating system with
> following features:
> * Support 100 percent of hot keys

Depends also on the terminal emulator used and if it's
configured properly. Editors like the one belonging to
the Midnight Commander (mcedit) can learn keys.

> * Hot keys available for setting start/end block to be copied,
> moved or deleted without requiring any mouse lock.

That applies to most editors, like Joe's Own Editor (joe),
mcedit (already mentioned) or vi / vim.

> It is not possible to use mouse lock or to hold shift key combined
> with navigating key at the same time without accidently dese4lcing.

I know that both mcedit and joe support this, i. e. editing
inside an already selected region; joe also is able to handle
the begin and the end of the selection independently (^KB and
^KK).

> * Support special ASCII characters

Also depends on terminal emulator and certain system settings,
as well as your preferred input method. I've been succhessfully
using chinese characters in mcedit running in xterm with the
LC_* language setting to en_US.UTF-8. Use with non-UTF local
characters is easlily possible even in text mode consoles,
using e. g. ISO8859-1 on cons25l1 emulation. I'm quite sure
that even the "basic editors" can support that.

As a programmer, you should have no problems evaluating the
family of editor you will use, and find the one that fits
your needs best. Try for example vim and gvim, also give
mcedit and joe a try. Make sure your system is properly
configured (terminal emulation and language settings, keyboard
settings) so you can benefit from what those editors can do.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany