Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:48:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW/DNS rules

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Not a whole lot you can do here, other than keep on top of the latest
> > versions of bind from ISC.

	This is true.  Even with blocking xfer-nets your DNS server can
	still be attacked.  The most common one is the DoS attack with
	version 4.9.7 ... which came shipped with FreeBSD for a while.

> *sigh*  Guess Bind is really in the same category as sendmail then.
> Unfortunately, BIND has it's hooks all over the system, including the C
> library.  Can I just install the named and not worry about anything
> else, leaving the system the same?  The box in question is running
> 2.2.8, and I *really* don't want to upgrade it if I can avoid it.

	I would probably get the new bind 8.9.2 and run that.  I don't
	remember what version of BIND comes with 2.2.8 but I thought it
	was either 4.9.7 or 8.9.1.  If it is 8.9.1, you can also run that
	with minimal problems.

Nick Rogness		     Shaw's Principle:
System Administrator	       Build a system that even a fool
RapidNet, INC   	       can use, and only a fool will
nick@rapidnet.com	       want to use it.