Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:30:04 -0600
From:      "Ellis, Joshua" <ellis@kcc.com>
To:        "'K. Arun'" <kar@giasmda.vsnl.net.in>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <BGa@dbsmm.com>
Subject:   RE: Apache on FreeBSD

> 	As I do not have much experience by way of running a
> web server, I
> wondered if anyone on this list would be able to answer their queries,
> as they are really keen on using FreeBSD.

The Apache site has some good tips:
http://www.apache.org/docs-1.2/misc/perf-bsd44.html

I have Apache running on a dozen FreeBSD servers, Even with PHP, pgsql, and
mod_perl compiled in, some fairly high-volume (200K+ hits/day) sites run
without a hiccup.

The basic tweaks I use are in the kernel config file
(/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/.....)

cpu             "I686_CPU" # pentium II
maxusers        256 # def: 64
options         "MAXMEM=(512*1024)"  # amount in KB; nnnMeg = nnn*1024
options         CHILD_MAX=512 # def: 128
options         OPEN_MAX=512 # def: 128
options         CHILD_MAX=512 # def: 128
options         OPEN_MAX=512 # def: 128
options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096
options         SOMAXCONN=256

When you compile your kernel (see instructions in the FreeBSD handbook,
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook52.html), you'll get warnings about
SOMAXCONN being re-defined.  Ignore them.

In httpd.conf, I use the following:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 200
MaxRequestsPerChild 300

Good luck with your server.

-joshua
---
Joshua Ellis - Kimberly-Clark Internet/Intranet/Notes Services
email: ellis@kcc.com * phone: 920/721-2779 * fax: 920/721-6180