Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/1145: tftpd should support -s

The following reply was made to PR bin/1145; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To: imp@village.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, fenner@parc.xerox.com
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:53:26 PDT

 In message <199604160009.SAA02721@rover.village.org>you write:
 >+			setuid( 32767 ); /* Revert to running as nobody */

 Careful!  On my FreeBSD boxes, nobody is uid 65534.  I think what you really
 want to do is

 			if ((nobody = getpwnam("nobody")) == NULL) {
 				syslog(LOG_ERROR, "nobody: no such user");
 				exit(1);
 			}
 			setuid(nobody->pw_uid);

 >+		syslog(LOG_WARNING, "Access to theentire system graned");

 I'm not sure that logging a warning is the right thing to do; this opens the
 door for logfile spamming.  How about just failing to run if no path arguments
 are specified, and requiring an explicit "/" argument to allow granting access
 to the entire system?

   Bill