Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:52:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Shayde <shayde@homeport.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.4-RELEASE PCMCIA installation woes.

'lo folks.  I'm installing 4.4-RELEASE via mfsroot.flp and kern.flp onto a
Toshiba Libretto 50CT (ancient, eh?).  I have 2 ethernet cards to work
with (a Wavelan card and a 3COM 3c589D-TP).  Both exhibit very similar
behaviour...

I boot kern, then boot mfsroot, then proceed to the "Now's the last chance
to swap devices".  The Libretto only has 1 PCMCIA slot, and during boot
its occupied by the floppy drive connector.

At this point I swap the floppy drive out for one of the two cards.  THe
system asks for IO Address and Interrupt, but no matter what I select
there, I can't get the cards to come live.  I've tried many different
combos.  After I hit <enter> on this screen, I alt-F2 to the debug screen
and watch for messages...

For the 3c589, the message is always

	ep0: Unit failed to come ready or product ID unknown!
(id 0xff2a)

For the wi card, I get the
	wi0: (WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x300 iomem 0xd4800-0xd87ff irq
11 slot 0 on pccard0
	wi0: init failed
	wi0: timeout etc etc etc

I've tried fiddling with pccardc to see if I could manually nudge the
driver to load, but no success.

Judging by what I'm seeing, there's just a config matching issue with wi0
- but how to resolve it?

SUggestions?

Dave Belfer-Shevett\ KB1FWR \
shevett@pobox.com  / Things you'll never hear a redneck say: #2.  \
------------------<   Those shorts ought to be a little longer,    |
                  |                     Darla.                     |