Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:51:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mkc@broccoli.graphics.cornell.edu
Subject:   Re: how to set fxp0 to half-duplex? [was: nfs tuning]

>>I never trust auto-sensing. Tell both ends what they are configured for.
>
>Agreed.  I do this wherever I can but some boxes either can't be
>nailed down or I haven't discovered how yet.  In general I've had
>good results by always locking the settings at the switch and letting
>the computers I can't control autosense.  I mistook fxp0 for another
>case of 'defaults to autosense'.

   The fxp device does default to auto-sense, but if you hard configure the
other end then [NWAY] autonegotiation is disabled, and thus whenever you do
that you have to set both ends if you want to be sure it is correct. The
default without autonegotiation is half-duplex.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.