Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 15:01:01 -0500
From:      mcaughey@infi.net (Michael Caughey)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Am I in PPP H#LL?

This seems to be just a bit harder than it should be.  I'm having many
problems with this PPP Connection.  I'm trying to establish a connection to
my service provider.  I really hope some one can help me.  Heres my problem...

When I'm folling the directions from the ppp.doc which are the same as those
found in the FAQ list I've been gewtting a few problems:

[This one is minor, but I would like know what I'm missing]

First, I'm getting a error in refrence to an 'if' statement in the pppup script:
Here is a copy of the script I'm using:
#!/bin/sh
ps ax |grep pppd |grep -v grep
pid=`ps ax |grep pppd |grep -v grep|awk '{print $1;}'`
if [ "X${pid}" != "X" ] ; then
        echo 'killing pppd, PID=' ${pid}
        kill ${pid}
fi
ps ax |grep kermit |grep -v grep
pid=`ps ax |grep kermit |grep -v grep|awk '{print $1;}'`
if [ "X${pid}" != "X" ] ; then
        echo 'killing kermit, PID=' ${pid}
        kill -9 ${pid}
fi

ifconfig ppp0 down
ifconfig ppp0 delete

/etc/ppp/kermit -y /etc/ppp/kermit.dial
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cua00 19200

I've temporily byepassed the problem by only using the last two lines.  The
next problem is in the dial up script.  It makes the connection fine and
logins in.  The problem is when it quits kermit it drops carrier.  I believe
it tto be the command 'quit' that it uses in the script.  Here is the
segment I'm talking about, Its from the kermit.dial script:

    .
    .
    .
:sluid
;
; put your userid here:
;
output mgs\13
input 1 {Password: }
;
; put your password here:
;
output ppp-password\13
input 1{Packet mode enabled} 	;{Entering PPP mode.}
echo
quit  <-----------{This is the line I'm talking about.}

:slnodial
echo \7No dialtone.  Check the telephone line!\7
exit 1
    .
    .
    .

I've been also looking at using the pppd's connect option to envoke chat.
I'm stuck there too.

I've been reading over the man page for pppd and chat.  I've written a
script that will work (I hope) for the connection.  It includes the dialling
of the modem (I Think).  I basically set it up like that in the example in
the man pages for chat.  The problem I'm having is that how do you tell chat
where the modem is?  It's not dialing the phone#.

Here is my /etc/ppp/options file

----------------
/dev/cua00
19200
connect chat.start
modem
passive
<local IP>:<remote IP>
  .
  .
  .
etc
-----------------

the chat.start script reads like this

#!/bin/sh
chat abort BUSY abort 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK ATDT5551212 CONNECT
ogin:--ogin: $$$$$$ ssword:--ssword: *******

Thanks in advance and for your time.

| Michael Caughey.                         |
| mcaughey@infi.net                        |
| running FreeBSD 2.0!                     |