Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:29:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        roelof@eboa.com (Roelof Osinga)
Cc:        jwb@homer.att.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem install

Roelof Osinga wrote,
> Jim Ballantine wrote:
> >
> > I am planning on changing from a dial-up ISP to a cable modem ISP,
> > download cable upload phone line, and am looking for information/
> > tutorial on installing a cable modem.  In an earlier mail someone
> > mentioned that the handbook has directions for this, but I must
> > be searching incorrectly since I can't find it.
> >
> > Is there information/tutorial on this subject, and if so, where?
>
> There isn't much to do depending on your modem. I'm using a Com21
> cable modem which connects to an ethernet card. So you just install
> an ethernet card and tell it its IP address and route. That's about
> all there is to it.

I think we're missing the point on the original poster's question. I
also have a cable modem hooked up to a NIC, and it was a breeze. But I
have a coax cable link that goes _both ways._ The original poster has
a setup where uplink is via a phone modem, downlink is the cable
modem.

I'm sorry I can't help with answers, but several people have answered
like this. It does not seem like it would be that simple. You need
some program to interface with the phone modem, but how does one set
up ppp (if that is the right choice) to only send, but have the NIC
receive?