Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:25:43 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Tito Sugiharta <tito@ti.itb.ac.id>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound card & cd-rom

Tito Sugiharta:
 |I 'm a novice in installing multimedia in FreeBSD.
 |I have sound card (ESS AudioDrive -- compatible with SB CArd)
 |and a 8x IDE Sony CD-ROM.
 |I have compiled my kernel to make the device for my soundcard & CD-ROM.
 |The device is snd0 and wcd0c and it's probed properly.

You need more than snd0.  Got a sb0 line too?

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

 |1. I can't play melody (or sound) in my soundcard. I have tried to play
 |   a MP3 file with splay, the result is the speaker is 'screaming' (sound
 |   very loudly--with unidentified sound).

Sounds like a sample size or byte order bug.  Try mpg123.

 |2. I can't play my audio CD. I have tried to use workman CD Player, but it
 |   tell me that no CD in drive. (PS: data CD have been used
 |   succesfully)

SCSI or IDE CD-ROM?  If IDE, try:

     /usr/X11R6/bin/workman -c /dev/rwcd0c -b

 |3. How can I fine tuning the volume of my sound card?

In any terminal, the text mode "mixer" program works.  In X, download xmix
or one of the other mixer's in the audio packages directory.

Randall Hopper