Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:29:19 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vi Error - Permission Denied

I've decided to try and wean myself off ee and move to vi.  I have two
boxes, both running 4.7-RELEASE-p1.  On one, I tried the following
logged on with normal user privileges:

blacklamb> vi practice
ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Permission denied

A google search on this error suggests that permissions are not set
correctly on /var/tmp and /var/tmp/vi.recover so I check them and they
appear to be OK.

blacklamb# ls -ld /var/tmp
drwxrwxrwt  3 root  wheel  512 Nov 13 08:45 /var/tmp

blacklamb# ls -ld /var/tmp/vi.recover
drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 10 12:22 /var/tmp/vi.recover

So I check my other system and the permissions are the same, yet I can
use vi logged on with normal privledges.  Any ideas on what is wrong
here?

Thanks,

Drew