Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:50:59 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MouseSoft 1300

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 01:40:21PM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> I've got a three button serial mouse with the name "MouseSoft" on it.

> moused(8) detects it as,
>
>   # moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -i all /dev/cuaa0 serial microsoft generic
>
> And it works fine except for one hitch, the middle button does not
> work. As I mentioned, the mouse most certainly has three buttons,
> but it does not seem to want to do anything. I have not been able to
> figure out if the mouse is broken, if moused(8) does not know the
> third button is there, or if I've got something misconfigured. It
> works fine with three-button emulation, but it's be nice if I did not
> need to do that.

Some mice have a switch on the underside where you can switch between
Microsoft mode (2 button) and Mouse Systems mode (3 button). Some mice do
not have the switch because they assume that you will be using it under
Windows with their driver. If it does not have a switch then I think you
might be out of luck with it unless the moused code can be changed to
accommodate it, assuming it is working, which you do not know of course.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252