Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:05:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   xdm Configuration

I had managed to forget about this for a while, but it came back up. I
woulda thought it would be real simple but...

All I want to do is modify the login screen presented by xdm. I have
been able to a lot of the changes with no problem. The xdm
configuration files are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm.

By modifying the 'xlogin' resources in 'Xresources', I have made most
of the changes I want to the login screen, except for one. I want the
login screen to be something like,

               ____________________________
               |     host.mydomain.com    |
               |      FreeBSD 3.4RC       |
               | login:                   |
               | Password:                |
               |__________________________|

Except I have been unable to sneak newlines in the 'greeting' so I get
one line with 'host.mydomain.com FreeBSD 3.4RC'.

I've tried several things, but right now I have what I think _should_
work,

xlogin*greeting: Welcome to CLIENTHOST\n\n\FreeBSD 3.4RC

But alas, it puts it all on one line (no 'n's or anthing odd on the
one line). Anyone get something similar to work?

The second problem is the root screen. It's that ugly dithered grey
that X defaults to. I'd just like to make that a simple solid
color... almost _any_ color. I would think that should be really
simple, but I have yet to track down where to slip in such a setting
in the xdm startup.

As a point of reference, I also have some IRIXs that do both of the
above very nicely. But what works for them, does not work for FreeBSD.
To do the multi-line greeting message, they have,

xlogin*greeting:        Welcome to %H\n\
IRIX %R

(Where that newline after the '\' does appear as shown, and yes, I've
tried that). To get a different root screen color, there is an option
in the X command in Xservers with '-solidroot <color>', but no option
or anything like it I could find for the XFree86 server I'm running
(in this case, the 3D Labs server).

Can anyone out there with some experience configuring xdm point me in
the right direction. I'm sure this is documented _somewhere_ but I
have not found leads from xdm(1), Xserver(1), or examining xdm's startup
files.

Thanks.