Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:58:43 +0100
From:      "Joel Björk" <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>
To:        <clatter@crosswinds.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I hope nobody blows a gasket, but...

There's an alternative boot manager in the tools directory called
osbsbeta.exe that is really easy to set up and run, it's all done in
DOS with a GUI.

I hope this works for you, I was in the same position and very close
to giving up on FreeBSD all together until I solved this little
problem.

// Joel

> Well, Jay, i gave the bootinst.exe program a shot, but it didn't
work.
> I ran it, rebooted to the CDROM, installed FreeBSD, restarted, but
it
> just went straight into Win98.
>
> And to clarify what my problem, (sorry that i wasn't being clear
enough
> John), I cannot seem to get my computer to give me the option of
running
> Windows 98, or FreeBSD when my system boots up.  In other words, i
can't
> get FreeBSD's boot manager to work, and now the bootinst.exe is
proven
> to not work.
>
> To be really specific with what i want to do:  during the
installation
> of FreeBSD, i want to be able to install FreeBSD to my second hard
drive
> (D:) and then i want to be able to install a boot manager in the
boot
> sector of my first drive (C:).  Reverse order would work too, and
i'm
> not totally sure if i'd need to install the boot manager to the boot
> sectors of both hard drives, but i'd just like to be able to run
FreeBSD