Date:      Thu, 20 Oct 2022 21:16:57 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my isp has trouble with its own dhcp assignment

On 10/20/22 15:17, spellberg_robert wrote:> On 10/18/22 12:47 AM, David
Christensen wrote:
>    when i reply to the list , should i "cc" to the poster , also ?

I CC the OP only if the OP requests it.

>> Regarding getting text file contents into an e-mail message using a
>> graphical workstation, one method is to open the file in Mousepad,
>> Notepad, etc., select the desired text, copy the selected text to the
>> clipboard, switch to the Thunderbird message composition window, and
>> paste the clipboard contents.
>>

>    ... the above generated an idea .
>
> i do not have the named "pad"s ;
>    but , i tried the following and it worked .
>
> open the text_file in a firefox "new_tab" .
> select from the ul_corner to the lr_corner .
> <ctrl_c>
> position the cursor in the thunderbird composition_window .
> <ctrl_v>

I have tried running FreeBSD desktops several times over the years.  It
was a lot of work and the experience was disappointing.  As much as I
would like a FreeBSD desktop, Debian with Xfce is easier to install and
more Xfce features are supported.

>> 1.  What is the location of your Internet service point?
>>

> geographically , we are in rural mc_henry county , illinois , usa ,

Okay.

>> 2.  Who is your ISP?  Please provide a URL.
>>

> https://www.risebroadband.com

Okay.

>> 3.  What Internet service plan do you have?  Please provide a URL.
>>

> https://www.risebroadband,com/residential

Okay.

>> 4.  What is the make and model of the access device provided by the
>> ISP?   Please provide a URL.
>>

> if you mean the roof_top antenna , then i do not know .

It would be good for you to know the make and model of your antenna.  I
suspect it functions as a modem.

>    if you mean the "thingy" , which the isp calls a "router" ,
>    then we do not have one .
> the gateway box is directly connected to the roof_top antenna ,
>    with rj45 and poe .
> the gateway does two things , packet_filtering and nat .

While building your own gateway from scratch using a general-purpose OS
is a useful exercise, it is an ISP's worst nightmare.  If they attempt
to support you, they will struggle.  Most ISP's will simply refuse to
support anything except their own equipment.

I recommend that you buy or lease a residential gateway from your ISP,
connect it to the antenna, and get it working reliably (with or without
support from your ISP).  Then, connect #5 in a router-behind-router
configuration (e.g. connect #5 to the LAN side of the ISP gateway).  Now
you can play with #5 all you want, and you still have a working Internet
connection the whole time.  This is what I do.

>> 5.  You seem to be discussing several computers -- a gateway computer,
>> a backup gateway computer, and several clients (presumably, one is a
>> graphical workstation with Thunderbird).  Please clarify how many
>> computers you have and their roles.

> in general , there are many machines , on 192.168.100.0/24 ,
>    but , for now , only three are involved with the out_side world .
> these are :
>
>    natasha    192.168.100.200        i386     8.1
>    catherine    192.168.100.143        amd64    11.4
>    113        192.168.100.113        amd64    11.3
>
>    natalie    192.168.100.201        amd64    11.3    as user
>    natasha    192.168.100.200        amd64    11.3    as gateway

>> 6.  Please pick one computer and let us work on that one.  When that
>> is fixed, pick another computer and start a new thread.
>>

> agreed .

Let's work on #5.

>> 7.  What is the make and model of the computer?  Which CPU?  How much
>> memory?  What storage devices?  Please provide URL(s).
>>

> i build my own mid_tower boxen [ see below ] .
>
> the user boxen are i3/5/7 "skylake" , 64_GB ,
>    1/2/4_TB seagate "constellation_es.3" .

> the new gateways are 16_GB , same seagate .

Okay.

>> 8.  Which FreeBSD installer did you use?  What questions were you
>> asked and how did you answer them?
>>

> the one which is included
>    with the applicable amd64/dvd or i386/cd image_file .
>
> uhhh , ... , all of them and honestly
>    [ to the best of my under_standing ] .
>
> broadly_speaking , i install every_thing , including the ports_tree .
> hard_drives are extensively partitioned , to make full back_ups faster .

> i want to be helpful , here ;
>    if the above is in_sufficient , then please advise .

I keep a plain text administrator log file for every computer.  I put
this file plus any system configuration files I create or modify into a
networked version control system (CVS).  I recommend that you do the same.

Here is my log entry for a recent FreeBSD install.  I recommend that you
take notes like this whenever you install; they are invaluable for later
troubleshooting:

February 11, 2022

1.  Use DQ67SW.  Insert FreeBSD-12.3-RELEASE-amd64 USB flash drive into
     USB 2.0 port adjacent to FireWire port.  Insert Intel 520 Series
     SSD 60 GB into upper rack.  Disconnect all other drive SATA cables
     except for optical drive.  Boot FreeBSD installer:

         FreeBSD - Welcome to FreeBSD    Boot Multi user
         FreeBSD Installer - Welcome     Install
         Keymap Selection                Continue with default keymap
         Set Hostname                    f4.tracy.holgerdanske.com
         Distribution Selection          <unselect all options>
         Partitioning                    Auto (ZFS)
             Pool Type/Disks             stripe: 1 disk
                                         ada0 INTEL SSDSC2CW060A3
             Pool Name                   f4_zroot
             Force 4K Sectors            YES
             Encrypt Disks               YES
             Partition Scheme            MBR (BIOS)
             Swap Size                   2g
             Mirror Swap                 YES
             Encrypt Swap                YES
             >>> Install                 Proceed with installation
         ZFS Configuration
             Last Chance!                YES
             Enter a strong passphrase   ********
             Re-enter password           ********
         Root - New Password             ********
         Retype New Password             ********
         Network Configuration           em0
         Configure IPv4                  Yes
         Use DHCP                        Yes
         Configure IPv6                  No
         Search                          tracy.holgerdanske.com
         IPv4 DNS #1                     192.168.5.1
         IPv4 DNS #2                     208.67.222.222
         CMOS clock set to UTC           Yes
         Time Zone
             Region                      America -- North and South
             Country or region           United States of America
             Zone                        Pacific
         Time & Date - month, year, day  <verify>
         Time & Data - time              <verify>
         Services to start at boot       sshd, ntpdate, ntpd, powerd
         System hardening options        <none>
         Add users                       No
         Final configuration             Exit
         Open shell                      No
         Complete                        Reboot

     Power down during POST.

     Remove installation media.

>> 9.  Please run the following commands and post your complete console
>> session -- prompt, commands entered, output printed:
>>
>> # freebsd-version ; uname -a

>> # cat /etc/rc.conf

> powerd_enable="YES"            # common
> hostname="natasha.ntrprnr.com"
> ipfilter_enable="YES"
> ipnat_enable="YES"
> ipmon_enable="YES"
> ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
> ipv4_addrs_re0="192.168.100.200/24"
> sshd_enable="YES"            # common
> ftpd_enable="YES"            # common
> gateway_enable="YES"
> keymap="us"                # common
> keyrate="fast"                # common
> cursor="blink"                # common
> font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"            # common
> font8x14="iso-8x14.fnt"            # common
> font8x8="iso-8x8.fnt"            # common
> blanktime="NO"                # common
> moused_enable="YES"            # common
> dumpdev="AUTO"                # common

Okay.

>> 10. If the computer is graphical, which window manager or desktop
>> environment are you using?

>> 11. Are you using ports or packages?  What ports and/or packages have
>> you installed?

> packages .

> xorg            7.7_3        not_used ; never_configured
> firefox            67.0.2_2,1    not_used
> thunderbird        60.7.1        not_used
> m4            1.4.18_1,1    not_used

Okay.

> natalie/natasha 11.3 has two rc.conf files :
>     all development is done on natalie ; then ,
>     change one sym_link , power_down , swap cables , boot as natasha ;
>     same name , same 1918_address , make dhcp request .
> when done testing ,
>     change the sym_link , power_down , swap cables , boot as natalie .
> the development process is fairly simple and
>     this procedure mimics the expected future routine operation .
>
> note_that : when the 11.3 box is natasha ,
>     then natasha 8.1 remains booted ,
>     but , its network cables [ .200 , dhcp ] are plugged into 11.3 ;
>     also , the natalie cable [ .201 ] is detached and un_connected .

I install 2.5" SATA mobile racks in my machines and have a stack of
small 2.5" SATA SSD's, with one OS instance per SSD.  This makes it easy
to mix and match:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/hsb220sat25b

https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/s25slotr

The fact that the MAC address remains constant when I boot one computer
with several different OS disks can confuse DHCP and DNS caching.
Therefore, I try to limit myself to one computer when experimenting with
OS's and I use IPv4 addresses rather than host names when experiementing.

> --how_ever-- , when the user_machines are going through the 11.3 box ,

To get #5 working as a gateway, I recommend that you dedicate the
machine to that purpose and do a fresh install of
FreeBSD-12.3-RELEASE-amd64.  Unfortunately, the FreeBSD installer UI
does not have an option to limit the amount of disk space used -- it
uses the whole disk.  Get a small SSD, USB flash drive, or SDHC card
("16 GB" devices are more than adequate).  Keep meticulous notes.  Use a
version control system for your notes and any system configuration files
you touch.  Use dd(1) to take raw binary images of the disk as you go,
so that you can easily revert changes.

I recommend these books:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#af3e

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking#n4sa