Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:35:38 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
To:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [worrkaround ]  Pkg feature req. already exists some other way?

        On Sat, 9/20/14, Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-pkg <freebsd-pkg@freeb=

         Subject: Pkg feature req. already exits some other way?
      To: pkg@freebsd.org
      Date: Saturday, September 20, 2014, 5:10 PM
=20
      I am accustomed to portmaster
      batching a large number of ports at the end of a
     pipe.=A0=A0=A0
=20
     ...=A0 ... egrep -v
 '    someIGNport|someBKNport|someBIGport'=A0 =A0 | xargs
    -J % pkg install %=20
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
 =A0 =A0 =A0=20
=20
   Instead of a queue formed,=20
=20
   This will update=20
 =A0=A0=A0port
 =A0=A0=A0port
 =A0=A0=A0port
   And the ports=20
 =A0=A0=A0not-found
 =A0=A0not-found
 =A0  will be left for next time. Proceed?=20
=20
     One of the latter(not found), inexplicably halts the pkg=20
     command.=A0=A0=A0This takes a magnitude of time
     away from other tasks I usually
     schedule in the meanwhile.=A0=20
=20
 >>>Or someone is maybe coding it into portmaster soon... or

So...
.... egrep -v 'someIGNport|someBKNport'  | sort | uniq | xargs -J % pkg rqu=
ery %do % |  lookat (or less or)=20
=20
Then...
pkg install port port port port port port port=20
proceeds with way speedier than what I knew yesterday at this time.

I suspect though that it is not upgrading with packages the majority of por=
ts which need upgrading, but it
woudl be nicer to have a message about each term sent to pkg, whether it fo=
und a remote package, or
recieved the port name and did not find a remote package.  Then one could p=
ipe those results into a=20
delay file or a portmaster/portupgrade file or an ignore-for-later file ...=
  etc

And that is only the first usage of that pipe, it maybe could be improved,=
=20

...as well as the pkg-rquery=20
man page maybe, with examples, which I used from "man pkg-query" as a templ=
ate.=20