Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:39:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-emulators@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Linuxulator, linux_base-7 and FBSD 4.4-STABLE -> problems

Hello.

Today I installed on several test machines the new linux_base-7
in conjunction with the recent cvsupdate as done this morning
(MESZ/CEST).

The following week we want to test the new suite with our installed
Fotran 90/95 Compilers (Lahey F95 5.5 for Linux and PGI HPF) but
I saw several problems occuring too early to go ahead testing the suite.
Very often I get errors, I got in the past with several Fortran programs
running over NFS in Linux emulation (getcwd errors).

Today I installed the new base-7 (it has been modified since yesterday)
with a kernel and base system compiled yesterday evening. This error occurs:

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: Numerical result out of range

Several other Linux programs do not work anymore or produce strange errors.
Netscape 4.78 is unable to startup due the lack of a library (I think
ths lib is found in base 6.1, but I do not dare to mix up both because
I do not know how).

Opera 5 for Linux is unable to save files because it reports an getcwd error
or similar - Opera tries to save files into a home dir which is NFS/NIS
exported.

Are these problems common and known?

Is it possible to mix linux_base and linux_base-7 together to get old
clients running?

Is it possible to use linux_devtools AND linux_base-7 from the ports together
or is devtool linux_base 6.1 related?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)