Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 12:32:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael P. Deslippe" <tensbum@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU FIles

On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Michael P. Deslippe wrote:

> I have several "newbie" type questions:
>
> First, why aren't all GNU programs included in the PORTS collection?  (in
> particular, GCC)

gcc is included in the base system distribution.  In fact, many of the gnu
utilities are in the base system.

This is on 2.2-ALPHA:
gdi,ttyp2,/usr/src/share/misc,26>gcc -v
gcc version 2.7.2.1

Don't punish yourself by trying to install gcc from source.  :)

> Finally, I'm running 2.1.6 - if I want to update to 2.1.6.1, what's
> involved?  Do I start from scratch, or is there an update, or what (and
> what are diff files for?)?  How about upgrading to 2.2 or current or stable?

These are mainly security improvements.  You could just run the sysinstall
upgrade procedure or try to extract what the difference is.  I think it's
mainly sendmail, which you could extract from the source tree pretty
easily.

Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon..edu    | Residence Networking Assistant