Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:54:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp lookup

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Jim Mock wrote:

> I posted this to -questions and didn't get a response so I figured I'd
> try over here.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Anybody know how I can get rid of this message in my logs?
>
> Oct  6 20:40:41 phear /kernel: arplookup 206.58.100.1 failed: host is
> not on local network

Yes, it means literally what it says, the host 206.56.100.1 is not within
the network of your machines nic, and something in the config is trying to
pursuade it otherwise...

> The ip does resolve..
> [snip]

This doesn't matter - it won't make any difference whether it resolves or
not unfortunately... :)

> All of the machines on the local net are on the 206.58.96.* class c
> and it shows up in the logs of all them.  I thought it'd go away once
> we added reverse lookups for it, but it hasn't.  Any ideas?

206.58.96.* is not the same network as 206.58.100.1 - Do you have more
than 1 class 'c' on the same wire?

Run an 'ifconfig -a' and 'netstat -r -n' and send the results here, maybe
that will shed some more light on it...

Regards,

Karl