Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:25:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        William Salvino <ws@his.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions

On Thursday, 10 September 1998 at 23:34:03 +0400, William Salvino wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I have Linux installed and the kernel has to be in the first 1023
> cylinders on the hard drive. Is this also the case with BSD?

This requirement doesn't come from the operating system, it comes from
the BIOS.  It used to be universally true, but nowadays most BIOSes
are a little more clever.  If your BIOS documentation doesn't tell
you, the best thing to do is try it out.

> I use the Windows NT boot loader to selectively load DOS, NT, or Red Hat
> Linux from the bootloader menu. Does BSD have a bootsector I can strip off
> with dd

Yes.

> and insert in the NT bootloader?

I don't know.  I don't use Microsoft.

> Does BSD use LILO?

No.  LILO is a Linux program.  We have a similar program, but it's not
as configurable as LILO.  But you can boot FreeBSD with LILO.

> Approximately How large does a disk partition have to be for a
> complete installation of everything on the BSD-CD?

About 2 GB.  Of course, you don't need 80% of what's on the CD.  If
you know Linux, assume that the requirements for FreeBSD are about the
same as for Linux.

Greg