Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:14:42 -0700
From:      Hans-Werner Braun <hwb@nlanr.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-19980928-BETA

I installed 3.0-19980928-BETA from scratch, and have 18 hard disks in
the machine.  The boot process recognizes da0....da17, and fdisk allows
me to write partition tables on all, but some other utilities like newfs
and (I think) mount have difficulties with >da9 (i.e., da10....da17 for
me). newfs even seems to clobber the partition table when I try "newfs
-b 8192 -f 1024 /dev/rda10s1e." I am using two Adaptec 2940 controllers,
and da9 (which works fine) is on the second controller, I don't think
the controller stuff is the issue. Is there a workaround or some pointer
to something I should read that would help me here? Thanks!

Hans-Werner

PS: The machine also has two 450MHZ PII processors, and SMP was easy to
get going, and seems to be working fine.  Good job, guys!