Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2012 00:51:40 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bf1783@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>, "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: lang/gcc46

On 08/06/2012 00:30, b. f. wrote:
> On 8/6/12, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 07/31/2012 08:57, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> <skipping quibbles and polemics>

Sure, whatever.

>> Just to be clear, you compile stuff with gcc 4.6, that is linked against
>> libgcc, and then you update to 4.7, with a new libgcc, and everything
>> still works? If so, that's great, I'm glad to hear that it's not a problem.
>
> For the most part, yes.

In my mind, this isn't good enough. But I'm not in charge of anything. :)

> I think Gerald was referring to Bapt's plan to make it easier to make
> multiple packages from a single port, so that those who used packages
> exclusively could install a package consisting of only the runtime
> support libraries, rather than the whole compiler suite.

Universal support for that is years away, minimum.

> I had
> patches to do this even without pkgng, but it made things a little
> more complicated, and didn't seem to be a high priority, so I didn't
> pursue it.  If people feel that it is important, I could work with
> Gerald to revive that, or use a knob like that of ports/155408 with
> static linking to allow users to remove the runtime dependency for a
> lot of software, at the cost of some added overhead from redundancies.

Making this change now would benefit a lot of people, now.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what