Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:26:46 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartmann@walstatt.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printing problems: CUPS, claws-mail, firefox and xpdf-4

--Sig_/6RKs_wOzQgHhIR+cVbtJjtd

Am Wed, 20 Dec 2017 10:22:03 -0700
Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org> schrieb:

> On 12/20/17 08:29, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > At first, please CC me in your response, I'm not subscribing to the
> > list.
> >=20
> > I have problems printing on FreeBSD CURRENT (12.0-CURRENT #37 r327022:
> > Wed Dec 20 15:07:55 CET 2017 amd64).
> >=20
> > print/cups, graphics/xpdf, mail/claws-mail and www/firefox are of most
> > recent version as of usr/ports revvision r456793.
> >=20
> > The phenomenon is that I can not print via firefox' printing facility
> > (printer symbol which should open a requester showing all the available
> > printers), neither via xpdf or claws-mail.
> >=20
> > CUPS is up and running ans sockstat indicates, that cupsd is listening
> >=20
> > USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS
> > root     cupsd      28838 5  tcp4   127.0.0.1:631         *:*
> > root     cupsd      28838 7  stream /var/run/cups.sock
> >=20
> > Connecting via firefox and https://localhost:631 works, also printing a
> > testpage to any printer configured.
> >=20
> > The not-so-funny part is that either claws-mail, xpdf or firefox'
> > printing facility seem to take a long time when selected from menu,
> > showing then nothing but printing to file. In firefox, it takes ages to
> > come up with this residual set of printing options, xpdf and claws-mail
> > are a bit faster.
> >  =20
> >>From the console, lpstat -a shows every configured printer and printing=
 =20
> > PS or PDF to a queue from a xterm or console works as expected.
> >  =20
> >>From a Linux forum I gathered some pieces of information regarding the =
=20
> > fact that possibly gtk3 problems may the reason but recompiling the
> > usual suspicious ports didn't help, even recompiling firefox, xpdf or
> > claws-mail or poppler/podofo didn't change the situation.
> >=20
> > I'm out of ideas. Maybe somebody faces the same problem and has some
> > hints - I'd appreciate any tip. =20
>=20
> ideas, although I'm currently fighting another issue:
>=20
> Have a look at /var/log/cups and check error_log and access_log.
> Also try using complete path to commands, as the cups commands have
> the same name as non-cups ones, e.g. /usr/local/bin/lpr not lpr
> which goes to /usr/bin/lpr, the non-cups cmd.
>=20
> Gary

I have already checked this (obvious) path problem, but it doesn't trigger =
the problem.
Even if I rename the base system's lpr command or prevent the LPR subsystem
via /etc/src.conf to be installed, the problem persists.

Prior to the update of Firefox to their "Quantum" version, R 57, I faced a =
similar
problem on on of our workstations: the printer window in Firefox came up qu=
ickly, but
presented only printing to a file - after a while, say 2 or 3 minutes, the =
CUPS served
printers (even those locally) came up. The problem magically vanished into =
thin air after
a update to Firefox 57.0.

The fact that on the system in question the problems appear in X11, but man=
ually printing
via /usr/local/bin/lpr -P printer-name file.pdf/file.ps does work as expect=
ed, makes me
believe that something is out-of-synchronisation. The question is: what and=
 how to find
it or better, how to resolve it.

The fact, that claws-mail, xpdf-4 and firefox are affected (I didn't test o=
ther software
like GIMP, Inkscape or Scribus, I'll do this later when back in the office)=
 let me
believe it must have to do something with a commonly used subsystem ...

--=20
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder =C3=9Cbermittlung meiner Daten f=C3=BCr
Werbezwecke oder f=C3=BCr die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (=C2=A7 28 Abs.=
 4 BDSG).