Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:51:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Spencer Minear <spencer_minear@securecomputing.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq 370/380/580 G3 SMP problem details?

I'm told that there may have been some discussion in a FreeBSD mail
list about the real details behind the problems with new Compaq G3
servers not running in MP mode.  The root problem appears to be that
on these systems, placing a value of 0x10 in the Local APIC TPR
register results in blocking all interrupts.  The spec clearly says
that this should not block interrupts with priorty greater than 1, but
it sure appears to be happening.

As mentioned I've been lead to belive that there are some entries in
the FreeBSD mail archive discussing the details behind the problem,
but I cannot find them.  I have had one customer report that upgrading
the BIOS on a 370 to the lastest reve resolved the problem on that
system.  I have upgraded the BIOS on the 380 to the lastest available
from Compaq and found that did not provide any change in behavior.

If anyone is can point me to the details that may have been discussed
or have more details on the solutions available from Compaq I would
appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

-- Spence Minear