Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 14:32:27 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: **URGENT** Upgrading 2.2.5-R problem,somebody help me,please.

> > When I reboot, the problem is I CAN'T use 'root' or any user from login,
> > seems these
> > passwords not right, and it appears login failed.
> > I try to boot 'single user mode', I check my original /etc directory
> > files are the same,
> > because the the lastest file move to /etc/upgrade directory.
> > So why I can't use 'root' or any user accounts that I've created.
> > Would anyone know how to solve this "serious issue"(for me), PLEASE
> > tell me.
>
> Just a guess, but you may want to try rebuilding the user database :
>
> /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd
>
> You may need to mount your filesystem as read write :
>
> mount -o rw /dev/device-name

Just another guess, but on the old system did you have DES installed?
And then fail to install it on the new install? My guess is the MD5
password routines can't make sense of your DES passwords.

Check /etc/master.passwd, if your password fields start with $1$ then
I'm wrong. If they don't, then you need DES and may not have it
installed.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net