Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:19:27 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        JoeB <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LS -L  command, year created field contains hour:minute instead of year

On 2003-01-07 21:00, JoeB <barbish@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> The LS -L command will display the long info about files in a
> directory.  FBSD 4.0 through 4.5 LS -L command would display among
> other things the month/day/year the file was created.  FBSD versions
> 4.6 and 4.7 displays the hour:minute the file was created in the
> year field instead of the year.

This is done to save some space in the output of ls(1) and yet print
useful information like the `hour:minute' of modification time for
files that have been modified recently (for some definition of
`recently').  The same is done in other BSDs too.  Here's output from
a NetBSD 1.6 system that shows similar behavior:

	nbsd-> touch -t 199805092317.25 lala
	nbsd-> ls -l
	total 100
	drwx------  2 gk736  nis   8192 Jan  6 08:25 bin
	drwxr-xr-x  4 gk736  nis   8192 Jan  6 23:28 compress
	-rw-r-----  1 gk736  nis  30918 Jan  6 23:28 compress.tgz
	-rw-r--r--  1 gk736  nis      0 May  9  1998 lala
	-rw-r--r--  1 gk736  nis   2563 Jan  7 05:16 text

> To me this looks like there is a bug in the routine that populates
> the file's creation date field upon creation of the file and the LS
> -L command is just displaying what it finds in the year field which
> has been populated with incorrect data.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure I understand what is being said here.

There is no bug at this part of ls(1).  It simply prints the year at
column 8 for files that have been modified way back in the past, and
uses the same column to print the hour:minute of recently modified
files.

> I am looking for confirmation of my interpretation of the problem
> from other FBSD users, before I submit PR on it.

It's not really a problem, imho.  You can always use the -lT options
of ls(1) to print the full time information of file.

- Giorgos