Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:24:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   starting partition

Hello there!

I think this is not a question but an observation...

I have asked you about a problem that occurres when you install FreeBSD in
two different PARTITIONS of the same IDE disk.  It seems to me that
FreeBSD does not let you do that, I mean, you cannot have version 2.2.8
and version 3.0 in the same disk because the installation process destroys
one of the disk labels.  (I made a question about it some weeks ago,
they answered me that I have made a mess with my disk labels, so I
repeated the experiment and it happened again... I installed version 2.2.8
in partition 1, and version 3.0 in partition 2.  Patition 2 became a
mess).

Some other Unix versions (the old ultrix and osf/1) require three
"coordinates" for specifying the kernel's position:  the disk number, the
patition number, and the slice letter.

So, if you want to start from disk 2, patition 1, slice a,
the loader should have to receive:

		wd(2,1,a)kernel

and not:
		wd(2,a)kernel

But this is not possbile in FreeBSD loader.

I am not saying only non-sense, aren't I?

Could you do something for correct this?

Thank you in advance.

			Eduardo.