Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:48:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridge + VLAN + netgraph

<<On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:33:46 -0500, "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com> said:

>  - Since VLANs shove another 4-byte field in the Ethernet Frame,
>    we bump the MTU by 4 bytes.  Some cards/drivers reject frames
>    larger than 1500 bytes as giants.  This limits the interfaces
>    recommended for user with VLANs.  As someone pointed out
>    in discussions with me, MTU is a TCP/IP concept, not an
>    intrinsic property of an interface.

This paragraph is somewhat incorrect.

Ethernet (that is, IEEE 802.3) defines a maximum packet length, which
is 1518 octets, including header and CRC.  In conjunction with IEEE
802.1p, this maximum packet length is increased to 1522 octets.
Whether or not you use 802.1p/Q tagging, the MTU of an Ethernet is and
remains 1500 octets; the increased maximum length of an 802.1p packet
is entirely in the header.  (If the MTU is not 1500 octets, it's not
Ethernet.)

Some network interfaces make it possible to directly configure the
maximum packet length.  Others consider 1522-octet frames to be
errors, so the only way to enable reception of tagged frames on these
interfaces is to accept error frames and then rely on additional
software mechanism to distinguish long frames from those with other
sorts of errors.  (Typically on these types of interfaces it is
necessary to manually trim off the CRC as well.)  Still others are
simply unable to participate in 802.1p/Q networks.

-GAWollman