Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:11:32 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@dor.zaural.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: US encryption regulations and FreeBSD crypto programs

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 06:48:51AM -0800, Dan O'Connor wrote:
> >> the U.S. knows how to build encryption software.
> >
> >You are wrong.
>
> Yes, it was a Joke...
>
> I was mearly attempting to point out the stupidity of U.S. export
> restrictions, which only serve to ensure that U.S. companies don't
> participate in the world-wide encryption marketplace...

The train of thought goes that if USAian companies were allowed to
export encryption software without restrictions, encryption would
very quickly become a standard feature on _everything_ (domestic and
abroad). However, since so many contries are completely or partially
dependent on US technology (whether it be Windoze or hardware), they
cannot go all encrypted in order for things to be compatible with
products from the USA. Compatibility also keeps the USA from going all
encrypted too, which Janet Reno likes.

Basically, since the USA dominates the world-wide software marketplace
but they can't play in the encyption market, the encryption market is
not as big as it otherwise would be. Not that I agree with the
policies, but that's the present rational behind them.