Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 95 22:28:05 EDT
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
Subject:   Questions/problems installing 950412 SNAP

Hi All,
   I finally finished downloading the latest SNAP and started to install
it.  First I made the install disks using dd.  Then I booted the floppies
and did a "normal" install.  About the only things to note are: two SCSI
disks (entire disk is used), the primary disk uses all partitions (a,e,f,
g,h) for filesystems plus b for swap.  I then had a devil of a time booting
from the main system disk (recently running 2.0R).  I needed to rewrite
the boot block a bunch of times before it finally "took".  When it failed
the system was just booting (the primary booter is loading /kernel).  The
first 3 of the spining bars printed and then nothing.

   In any case, I got around this and the system started to boot.  At this
point the system is probed and promptly crashes with a fatal trap 12.  I
rebooted and select -c to look at what it was probing.  This is were
things started to get weird.  It turns out that there are four entries
marked enabled but has device names of zero/one as follows:

	Device	Port	irq  drq   iomem   iosize   unit   flags   enabled
	fdc0	0x3f0	6    2     0x0     0        0      0x0     Yes
	 .        .     .
	aha0    0x330   -1   5     0x0     0        0      0x0     Yes
	aic0    0x340   11   -1    0x0     0        0      0x0     Yes
	0       0x1f88  10   -1    0x0     0        0      0x0     Yes
	1       0x350   5    -1    0x0     0        1      0x0     Yes
	sea0    0x0     5    -1    0xc8000 8192     0      0x0     Yes
	 .        .     .
	ze0	0x300   10   -1    0xd8000 0        0      0x0     Yes
	zp0	0x300   10   -1    0xd8000 0        0      0x0     Yes
	0	0xffffffff -1 -1   0x0     0        0      0x0     Yes
	0	0xf0    13   -1    0x0     0        0      0x0     Yes

I've edited some of the less than important stuff.  The problem started
immediately after the probe of aic0.  The system got the fatal trap 12
and halted.  I did a "disable 0" & "disable 1" and the system would now
continue to just after the probe of zp0 when it then traped out again.
The problem is I can't disable these additional "0" devices since the
assumption of the code is a device name is unique.  Any suggestions?

In case anyone is curious, here is the trap.  I suspect you won't need
it... but better safe than sorry.  This is with all devices enabled:

	st0(aha0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x8c, drive empty
	aic0 not found at 0x340

	Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
	fault virtual address   = 0x431f4a30
	fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
	instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01c69a4
	code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
	current process		= 0 ()
	interrupt mask		= net tty bio
	panic: page fault

The system is an AMD DX2/80, 16MB, VLB/ISA
		Adaptec 1542B, 1GB SCSI-2 (DEC), Archive Python Tape
		SMC Elite16T

This configuration worked fine under 1.1.5.1 & 2.0R.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

- Jeff