Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:50:55 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        ckd ckd <ckd35510@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: vpn which freeBSD 6.2

ckd ckd wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i tryed to make a VPN between 2 freeBSD 6.2 like this :
>----10.0.1.0/24 ---GW1: 10.0.0.1 ============= 10.0.0.2 GW2 --- 10.0.2.0/24
>whith GENERIC kernel i can ping from either subnet.
> i compiled  a custom kernel with options IPSEC and IPSEC_ESP .
>the ping dont work ?

You don't mention having installed e.g. racoon (in security/ipsec-tools)
so you don't have any software to actually set up and negotiate a tunnel.

AFAIK, IPSEC and IPSEC_ESP are just options to enable those specific
protocols, but you still need software to do IKE and all the other
acronyms that VPN comes with.

Here's a bunch of links I found useful when setting up VPN:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg19089.html

http://www.lacave.net/~fred/racoon/config.html

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/ipsec/

--Alex